CAMPFIRE CHILI AND CORNBREAD
Campfire Chili and Cornbread
A delicious one-pot meal - perfect for both indoor and outdoor eating and cooking. Gather the family around the fire or the dinner table and make some memories with this meal!
Active Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (with seeds = spicy)
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 85/15)
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili pepper*
- 1 tbsp ancho chili pepper*
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package cornbread mix (plus ingredients to make cornbread)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- campfire chili and cornbread
- Chop bacon and cook in dutch oven until some fat is rendered.
- Add diced green pepper, jalapeño pepper, and onion.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bacon is nearly cooked and crispy and peppers are softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef; crumble and cook until almost all pink is gone.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread mix according to package directions; stir in cheddar cheese.
- Add seasonings; stir to blend with beef and peppers. Cook until beef is cooked through. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, or until tomatoes are heated through.
- Top with a cornbread mix, cover, and cook according to cornbread package directions, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with desired toppings - avocado, guacamole, sour cream, extra cheese, etc.